Last week I had appointments every day. Monday, the nutritionist (see previous blog). Tuesday started with a phone call from my GP to check on how I am. I was amazed; no doctor has ever just rung up like that to check. I really feel well looked after. In the afternoon I went to my second session of cancer yoga, which is at the exactly the right level for my needs just now. In the evening I cycled to a concert in Koncertkirken with a group calling themselves Prima Vista. I haven’t enjoyed a concert so much for a very long time; such talented young players and so full of enthusiasm.

Wednesday I was back for a session with Bjarne the psychologist. We talked mostly about how to cope with events that trigger flash backs. I’ve had a few incidents recently where I have been suddenly and utterly overwhelmed especially by thoughts of the lung collapse and particularly having the drain put in. I just desperately want my body to be left alone. No more intrusions. I’ve never consulted a psychologist before, but am enormously grateful that I do now. After our 90 minute sessions he sends me several emails with notes of what we talked about and suggestions for further reading. This time I also have some very practical exercises to do every day. It’s brought it home to me that becoming reconciled with cancer is a process; knowing is one thing, understanding and internalising is another. So I now try to give myself time each morning to go over the emails, make my own notes, draw mind maps and do my exercises. Like serious study!

I think it was on Wednesday on my way home that I fell off my bike. I was going very slowly and trying to stop at a pedestrian traffic light that I usually ride through. There was no one trying to cross, but somehow I decided to be legal and stop, got confused and ended up slowly and gracefully tilting over. The bike is heavy and I ended up trapped under it. Someone came to lift it off me and I was fine cycling home. Riding an e-bike definitely requires different skills from riding a pedal cycle.

Thursday I was with the physiotherapist who gave the sore spot in my back in between the ribs under my shoulder blade a very deep massage. She sent me home with a long strip of yellow latex to use as resistance for daily shoulder blade and chest exercises. Christina is also very good. I’m so lucky to have such good care!

Friday we were back at the oncologist department for a check up. As expected, everything looks fine and I will not have any more treatment, just three-monthly check-ups. What was not expected was to learn that “my 7th rib is still broken”. What??!! That was certainly news to me. The doctor mentioned it so casually, that I just swallowed the information; my brain was saying, “well you just have to let ribs heal by themselves, so there is nothing to do, just let time heal”. However, on getting home of course many questions came into my head. This morning I contacted my GP through the process called an e-consultation. It turns out she wasn’t at the clinic today, so I will wait to hear, hopefully tomorrow.

Yesterday I managed to do without the oxycotin and hardly needed a sleep in the afternoon. This morning I was in pain again and took a pill and slept 4 hours after lunch. Was this a valid experiment? Am I justified in concluding that if and when I stop the oxycotin, I will be more alert?

Lastly, here you can see my new cycle helmet. I finally decided that my present ones (22 and 18 years old respectively) were probably not safe any more. You can also see the fleece suit and hat that Keith made me to keep me warm.